Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ikea Swedish Meatballs by Heather
4 qt. half and half
3 qt. beef stock
1/2 c. white flour
1/2 c. water
2 T. soy sauce
salt
Pepper
4-32 oz pkg. Swedish or homestyle meatballs (do not use Italian. I made my own and will include the recipe.)
2-3 c. sour cream

You will need a LARGE stock pot to make this recipe as written. Bring beef broth to a boil. Add the half and half. In a small bowl combine flour with water. Combine well to make a creamy consistency. Add to the pot and stir. Add seasonings. Simmer until sauce thickens. Add sour cream and meatball. Simmer till heated thru and sauce has thickened somewhat. It will thicken upon standing. Serve over mashed potatoes, rice, or egg noodles.
For freezing ladel 24 meatballs into each of the 5 gallon-size ziplocks FIRST. Then go back and divide up the rest of the sauce into the bags. Let cool, then freeze flat.

FREEZER DIRECTIONS:
On 5 Gallon-size freezer bags write:
Swedish Meatballs.
Thaw. Reheat. Serve over mashed potatoes, rice, or egg noodles.

2 comments:

  1. This was my first experience with sweedish meetballs. I loved it, the kids loved it (well except Micah, but that's a whole other issue) Randy loved it. I had problems with thawing/reheating it. The sauce turned out very lumpy. I don't know if it's something I did or not. Regardless, it was still really good, just looked a little weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved these also. I thicken my sauce with a little cornstarch dissolved in water after it came to a boil and it was very smooth. I only put sauce on the noodles for Avery, but I have never seen her eat so much in one setting. Yum!

    ReplyDelete